Pharmacy Technician Online Courses
Health care is inevitably and unquestionably one of the most important spheres of any civilization, so there always must be specialists in this field to make the whole society function healthily. However, there is no doubt that not anyone can become a good doctor or pharmacologist, since advanced education is needed to work there.
Nevertheless, suppose you really want to become a professional in the pharmacy sector. In that case, it is always possible to attend special courses, including online ones, to save your time and enter the labour market as a proficient worker.
So, what do you need to know and be able to do in order to become a pharmacy technician? One of the most essential skills is obviously knowing the physiology and pharmacy fundamentals. Others are compounding, dispensing, pharmacy mathematics, and knowing the interactions between the human body systems and the particular medications. Most pharmacy programs include the corresponding courses, so you should not be worried about studying all of this by yourself. Moreover, with proficient courses, you will be able to attend pharmacy practice to assure your knowledge.
So, what are the main purposes and activities that a pharmacy technician should be able to perform:
- they prescription medication in accordance with the given symptoms along with giving recommendations on its proper dosage regarding the specifics of the body;
- in some cases, it is relevant to reconsider the doctor's prescriptions and recommend better solutions;
- like many health care professionals, they should know the mortal anatomy and serve great communication skills in order to work with patients in the pharmacy setting;
- they must use the most modern pharmacy software to make quick and exact treatment suggestions;
- for the most successful completion of their work, it is needed to know the pharmaceutical calculations and dosage forms for the vast majority of medications and their interaction with the body;
- for many community pharmacies as well as hospital pharmacy workers, it is also needed to serve their branches by answering the calls, stocking shelves, and maintaining high-quality service.
Hence, it is essential to enact many specific skills that are obtained during both educational courses and structured practical training, so one must attend the assured education and complete the quality verification to serve as a pharmacy technician.
In this article, you will find all the crucial information about the pharmacy technician program in Canada, career opportunities, and admission requirements for the occupation. Stay with us to stay tuned and know all the niceties.
Pharmacy Technician Job Duties
If you research the job aggregators, you will observe several most significant skills provided by both provincial and federal laws that every pharmacy technician should obtain, which include:
- be able to prepare prescriptions;
- work with medical devices and perform the first aid;
- serve medication therapy management;
- enact patient care if working in a hospital pharmacy;
- show a great knowledge of medical abbreviations;
- keep records and know the niceties of patient health;
- perform efficient administrative functions and communication skills;
- understand the drug distribution systems;
- carry out the inventory control, etc.
The pharmacy technician students must serve a great range of diversified skills which are in high demand by the local pharmacies and hospitals as it is spent almost $30 billion on health professionals and prescription medications each year, Canadian council claims.
Therefore, if you are into health sciences, obtain great critical thinking skills and memory, and prefer to communicate with patients, you indeed should try yourself in the pharmacy profession.
Pharmacy Technician Program Goals
The pharmacy technician education implies preparing career-ready graduates with proficient math and medical skills along with the needed ethics to develop the well-being of Canadians. The programs provide the environment to practice competencies during the education process without worrying about making something incorrect, as there are always caring curators of the line ready to help you and promote quality assurance.
If you are apt to visit the offline courses, there will be the labs prepared for you, while the online courses provide the basic knowledge of what you have to do.
To be able to provide high-level patient safety, the pharmacy technician training courses are regulated by the pharmacy regulatory authorities and are revised by officials, which ensures the accreditation of pharmacy programs. The degree programs imply pharmacy practice in a sponsored hospital or community pharmacy, so each student is able to better their knowledge and try their communicability. The practice usually lasts for 8 weeks taking 360 hours and lets the undergraduates work in a real setting.
Prepare yourself to study the following disciplines in the pharmacy technician program in order to become a valuable professional on the market:
- history of pharmacy and the present prospects;
- legal aspects of working in the healthcare sphere;
- anatomy and physiology;
- pharmaceutical mathematics and compounding;
- pharmacy management;
- first aid courses;
- medical software and devices.
Most courses suggest places for international students and provide transfer programs for the locals, so there are indeed brilliant prospects for those who want to move to another area. Moreover, it is also possible to obtain an Ontario secondary school diploma by attending the courses provided by the Ontario College of Pharmacists.
Pharmacy Technician Admission Requirements
Now, probably the most important part of the article. If you got interested in applying to the pharmacy technician program, you undoubtedly should have thought of the skills to be possessed to enter the course. Really, there are many borders in entering the pharmacy environment as the field is connected with providing care to ill patients, which is a cautious occupation.
First, you need to have a mature student status or High school graduation or equivalent along with successful completion of Biology 11, Chemistry 11, and Math 11. With a minimum grade of 65 for each discipline. Along with it, there exist English language proficiency requirements, which are taken in special form by any international student. Then, one should successfully pass the college's internal admission test.
One should also be a proficient computer user with the knowledge of basic digital literacy. Also, it is needed to perform the basic communicative and managerial skills during the interview with the campus director.
Surely, you should strive for the health sciences and be ready to withstand the tough conditions of a full-time job with the implements of both soft and hard skills.
To start the practice, the student must successfully pass the Ontario College qualifying exam with the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (PEBC). It is required in order to let the undergraduates work in real organizations with real customers. One also should be of legitimate age of at least 18 years old, pass the medical assessment, and have Canadian residentship or legit Landed Immigrant documents.
Job Opportunities in Pharmacy
Luckily or not, Canada is the country with a prevailing share of the retired population, so the demand for pharmacy technicians in the patient care sphere is always high and remains increasing for a long time.
With all the listed required skills of the pharmacy technicians, there is no doubt there exist many paths of professional development for those who successfully complete the pharmacy technician course with the status of Canadian council for accreditation.
There actually exist two most wanted prospects for the graduates of the pharmacy technician programs:
- A community pharmacy setting involves working with hundreds of customers daily, especially when situated in a crowded place. Working in a community pharmacy requires great communication skilfulness along with the ability to reconsider the doctor's prescriptions or make drug recommendations and medication calculations regarding the symptoms and body measures.
- A hospital pharmacy is a more specific place as it is connected to a particular hospital and rarely involves reviewing the given prescriptions. However, hospital pharmacies usually possess a bigger amount of demanded medications, so one needs to show the best knowledge of the inventory.
There also exist other health care providers such as long-term care facilities, pharmaceutical manufacturers, and even governmental companies that suggest working places for pharmacy technicians, so there are really dozens of prospects after getting the diploma of a pharmacy technician program which you can choose according to your best skills and preferences.
JPharmacy Technician VS Pharmacy Assistant
There are many various occupations in the medical sphere. Even though pharmacy has a lesser diversity, there are still several professions and job prospects. However, with the pharmacy technician diploma, there is no way you can be placed in any other position like pharmacy assistant. So, what is the difference between these two seemingly similar occupations?
- Pharmacy technicians have a wider set of duties compared to the pharmacy assistants, who need to revise the inventory as well as to conduct the estimates for the branch. Therefore, technicians are in charge of calculations, making prescriptions, and communicating with the customers.
- The length of education courses also varies, as technicians have a much longer period of studying than assistants do.
- Another difference is in job prospects. It is believed that technicians stay in their position for a longer time, thus, there are usually more experienced workers, so it may be hard for the graduates to enter the labour market. As for the assistants, since their education does not take such a long period of time, there are many new specialists in the field. As the supply is big, the demand for them is lower.
All in all, you should consider your job opportunities in advance since the salaries and demand for the pharmacy technicians are always good, but it is needed to find a reliable place to work in. You should also be ready to spend a lot of time studying difficult yet sufficient disciplines.
Frequently Asked Questions — FAQ
Are Pharmacy Technicians on Demand in Canada?
Surely, they are since Canada is the country with one of the biggest populations in the whole world and an enormous share of retired citizens, so the medication services are in demand here. The younger specialists are always welcome, as well as experienced pharmacists in both community and hospital pharmacies.
How well are Pharmacy Technicians Paid?
It depends on the exact organization one is working for. If it is a community pharmacy setting, the wage varies from around 25-40 dollars per hour. Hospitals usually serve lesser wages at around 15-20 dollars per hour. However, the stakes are increasing annually due to the growing demand for medical staff.
What Qualities Do I Need to Become a Pharmacy Technician?
Except for successful completion of a pharmacy technician program, one shall have some inherent soft skills, interpersonal skills, and good cognitive skills. It is also inevitable to be able to calculate the exact dosage of medication for the customers' preferences and symptoms.
Maybe you will be interested in...